New Mexico’s Educational Specialists
Greer Stafford specializes in providing professional planning and design services to New Mexico’s educational clients. We routinely provide services throughout the state, on projects of all scopes and sizes, to public school districts, private schools and institutions of higher learning. Educational work has been our primary focus for the past 25 years. A full 90% of our firm’s work is for New Mexico’s educational clients.
Our ultimate goal is to provide environments that allow students to learn better. To this end, we make it our business to stay informed about the educational curriculum and programmatic needs of preschool through college level schools. We listen carefully to educators and encourage their involvement in the design process.
Educational Facilities Planning
Our planning department is actively involved in providing New Mexico’s public school districts with facilities master plans, educational specifications, facilities assessments, and assistance with PSCOC funding applications.
- We have successfully completed Five Year Facilities Master Plans and/or updates for 23+ public school districts, all of which have been prepared in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the Public School Facilities Authority (PSFA) and approved by PSFA.
- Our interactive master planning process is designed to garner community support for school projects, position districts to receive state funding, and serve as a useful road map for future facilities development.
- We believe strongly in empowering school districts and other educational entities to make informed, knowledgeable decisions and to formulate facilities planning goals that truly support their educational missions and programs.
Greer Stafford has been actively involved with the Public School Facilities Authority (PSFA) since the agency was established. Our staff is highly knowledgeable about New Mexico Adequacy Standards and very familiar with PSFA processes and procedures. In addition, we have established strong, effective working relationships with PSFA personnel, and we have lobbied successfully before the PSCOC on behalf of many school districts.
Breadth & Variety of Project Experience
Our staff members are experienced in a wide range of project types and scopes. Our past work has ranged from renovations, improvements, and additions at existing schools to the planning & design of entirely new campuses. We regularly complete projects for all age groups, from pre-school through university level.
Our project experience includes a number of specialized facilities, such as computer labs, science labs, library/media centers, gymnasiums, tracks & fields, locker rooms, swimming pools, distance learning/ITV classrooms, cafeterias, kitchens, food service lines, playgrounds, and special educational facilities.
Schools for Today…and Tomorrow
It’s our goal to design school facilities that not only meet current needs but will be adaptable and functional well into the future. Because teaching delivery methods and technologies will continue to evolve over the life span of a school building, we design for future flexibility while incorporating the latest innovations in:
- TECHNOLOGY: wireless networks, technology/multi-media backbones, “wired” classrooms, electronic access & control systems for security, electronic HVAC controls, instructional television (I-TV) classrooms
- HIGH PERFORMANCE / “GREEN” SCHOOLS: ecologically & economically sustainable buildings, energy-efficient schools that save owners money on operating costs, schools designed to meet the requirements of the LEED and EnergyStar rating systems, outdoor classrooms that support a nature-based curriculum, and school buildings that are designed to be tools for teaching students about sustainability
- TEACHING METHODS & SCHOOL USES: small learning communities, dedicated “academies” within larger schools, reconfiguring of traditional grade groupings, schools open to community after hours, classrooms designed to appeal to multiple learning modalities, environments that encourage active/hands-on learning
In today’s economic climate, where public funding comes under close scrutiny and dollars must be stretched as far as they can, it is essential that we maintain close control over project costs. In all of our school projects, we strive to achieve a high value for the cost while implementing highly durable and low-maintenance systems and materials.
During design, we evaluate options with an eye towards providing the best value while still achieving all necessary requirements. In addition to looking at initial costs, we consider energy/utility use, operation and maintenance costs, and future system replacements. In this way, we can identify the most cost-effective options, which may not be apparent from looking at construction and material costs alone.
Construction on Active Campuses
A large portion of our educational work entails school additions, renovations and replacements. We’re very experienced in working with school districts to devise schedules and work plans that ensure minimal disruption to school activities during the construction process. Regardless of project scope or complexity, maintaining a safe and functional learning environment on campus during construction is always one of our top priorities.